Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Gibbet VS. Thong

While some liturgists try to convince us that 'gibbet' is too arcane to use in the Sacred Liturgy, I urge them to recall the newer translations of Sacred Scripture (New American Bible) in the Lectionary so that every Advent we get Mark 1:7 or Luke 3:16 having St. John the Baptist saying "I am not worthy to unfasten the THONG of his sandal." Why abandon the traditional 'strap' and opt for the modern 'thong' ? When most contempoary Americans hear the word 'thong' they think of an immodest and quite obscene bikini bottom given more vulgar colloquialisms by the youth. Straps (of his sandals), on the other hand, are a more appropriate and accurate translation of the Greek himas or Latin corrigiam than thongs. Gibbet may be less familiar but I do not trust the same people who gave us thongs rather than sandal-straps. Speaking for myself, i.e., and I am unanimous in that.

3 comments:

Old Sourdough said...

Just found your blog, father (Does this make you THE Blogfather?), and thank you for your interesting and informative posts.

Adulio said...

I had no idea that this is how bad the Novus Ordo had become!

Thank God for Summorum Pontificum!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the latest "In the name of the Creator, the Redeemer, and the Sanctifier"...I don't know if the USCCB came up with that one, but it makes me feel good to pin it on 'em!

My Blog List

Blog Archive